What is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania, also referred to as hair-pulling disorder, is a mental disorder that can lead to hair loss. Trichotillomania causes the patient to feel recurring urges to pull their own hair. The hair-pulling is not only limited to your scalp. It can also be seen in other parts of your body, such as your eyebrows or arm hair. Despite wanting to stop, most people have a difficult time resisting these urges.
According to the American Psychology Disorder, about 5 to 100 million people in the United States, roughly 3.5 percent of the population have some form of this disorder. The emotional distress of this disorder can be taxing on someone’s mental health and self-esteem. On average, it’s more likely for a woman to be diagnosed with Trichotillomania compared to a man. Unfortunately, both sexes can potentially be diagnosed with it. Regardless of sex, this condition can be devastating to one’s mental, physical, and emotional health.
San Diego Hair Loss Center provides wigs for Trichotillomania patients. Our personalized wigs made from real human hair will give you a natural-looking appearance. Don’t let Trichotillomania control your life. Call us now to schedule a private appointment with our wig designer.
How Trichotillomania Can Result In Hair Loss
There are many stages to hair loss resulting from Trichotillomania. Depending on how far and consistent the patient continues to give in to the hair-pulling urges, hair loss can progressively worsen. If there is consistent damage being caused to the scalp, it may lower the chances of hair growth. It’s important for patients to do what they can to control their urges. Failing to do so can cause permanent damage to your scalp. In other words, you’ll have permanent hair loss.
Helpful ways in which a Trichotillomania patient can treat the urges to pull their hair according to a peer-reviewed article:
- Cognitive Therapy
- Cognitive Therapy is a type of treatment that helps people address their issues through reflection and problem-solving. Specifically, it helps patients learn to identify and change destructive thought patterns. Through identification, the patient uses healthy coping mechanisms to change these destructive thought patterns.
- Behavioral Therapy
- Similar to cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy is used to help people address their issues through reflection and problem-solving. Rather than focusing on thoughts, behavioral therapy focuses on addressing destructive behaviors.
- Although there is no precise medication that directly fights against trichotillomania, your doctor may prescribe you other related medication. For example, your doctor may prescribe you medication for depression or anxiety. Depending on the severity of your condition, your doctor may also recommend medication for OCD.
- Professional counseling can help a patient suffering from trichotillomania mentally and emotionally. It also patients to share their struggles without judgment. Additionally, they can receive helpful insight on how to navigate life with trichotillomania and hair loss.
- Support Groups
- Support groups are always beneficial for patients suffering from difficult conditions, such as trichotillomania. Support groups can provide a sense of comfort and show patients they are not alone. Surrounding yourself with people who understand what you’re going through can be beneficial.
Trichotillomania Hair Wigs in San Diego
A common concern when searching for wigs is whether they look natural and fit appropriately. The last thing you want is for your wig to slip off at an inopportune time. We understand this concern, and we reassure you that our high-quality Trichotillomania hair wigs will never fail you.
We take pride in making Trichotillomania wigs according to our client’s specific needs and wants. Our wigs are made according to your head circumference, head shape, natural hairline, and texture of your natural hair. This guarantees a perfect, natural-looking wig that won’t fall off.
Fortunately, a human hair wig that is curated specifically to your needs can help conceal the hair loss caused by trichotillomania. This can help you gain back your self-esteem while eliminating the feelings of guilt and shame accompanied by trichotillomania. San Diego Hair Loss Center offers an extensive variety of 100% real human hair wigs and hairpieces that can benefit you.
We Make Wigs for Trichotillomania
Don’t let trichotillomania control your life and affect your confidence. We can help you address the hair loss caused by compulsive hair pulling.
Call us at 858-284-4834 to schedule an appointment with us at the Hair Loss Center in San Diego. You won’t be disappointed with the results of your Trichotillomania wig. Our wig experts know how to design a human hair wig to each person’s needs and preferences.